Volunteer and Community Engagement Coordinator-Michigan
Reporting to the Director of Communications and Public Affairs the Volunteer and Community Engagement Coordinator (VCEC) will help create and oversee the implementation of a strategic approach to community engagement, peer-to-peer and in-person fundraising within the local greater Detroit Michigan region. The successful candidate will help maintain existing and forge new relationships within the community at large to bolster Mercy-USA’s visibility, impact, and financial resources. S/he will help expand and diversify Mercy-USA’s donor base/pipeline through a range of activities.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The VCEC will perform the following duties:
Design and manage local Mercy-USA programs and projects that benefit the community at large and that provide opportunities for community members to become engaged in Mercy-USA’s domestic humanitarian efforts.
Build awareness of Mercy-USA’s work by maintaining and increasing Mercy-USA’s volunteer base to engage the community through active participation in community service and domestic humanitarian programs and activities. Design new and dynamic volunteer activities that will expand our volunteer base.
Engage volunteers in peer-to-peer fundraising campaigns that dovetail with the volunteer programs, plus national campaigns. Build donor loyalty through these activities.
Engage volunteers in fundraising opportunities within the Greater Detroit Muslim community on behalf of Mercy-USA. Examples of opportunities would include Iftar fundraising, direct and indirect fundraising through Mercy-USA sponsored/created events inside Muslim centers.
Report all activities in concise and timely manner.
Maintain database of all volunteers and community influencers. Design and maintain a plan for outreach follow-up.
Produce a regular volunteer newsletter to promote active participation from the community.
Monitor community activities and identify networking, community/donor relations or sponsorship opportunities. Examples of activities:
Manage and staff a Mercy-USA sponsored booth at local events. Schedule and deliver presentations to local organizations and community members.
Host information booths outside of a major mosque during Jummah where available/and appropriate.
Represent Mercy-USA at public events, either as an individual or with volunteers
Engage MSA groups for peer-to-peer campaigns and volunteer opportunities
Engage Islamic schools by organizing Mercy-USA Service Club Chapters
Join local Facebook groups as a Mercy-USA rep
Build a Humanitarian Emergency Response Team (HERT) for the region and host training events
• Bachelor’s degree preferred
Knowledge, skills and abilities
• Proficient writing skills
• Social media experience
• Knowledge of special events planning and management
• Project management experience
• Peer-to-Peer fundraising experience a plus
Proficiency in the use of computer for:
• Word processing
• Internet research
The Volunteer and Community Engagement Coordinator should demonstrate competence in the following:
• Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to engage the community in Mercy-USA’s work and create new opportunities for fundraising.
• Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices and ensure own behavior and the behavior of others are consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
• Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
• Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
• Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
• Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
• Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
• Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problems.
• Interest in international development and/or previous experience in similar organizations to Mercy-USA is a plus
• Passion for Mercy-USA’s mission
• 1 to 3 years of volunteer leadership and/or non-profit experience
• The Volunteer and Community Engagement Coordinator works in an office environment
• The Volunteer and Community Engagement Coordinator usually works a standard work week
• The Volunteer and Community Engagement Coordinator will be required to work evenings and weekends for events when needed.
Excellent benefits, including competitive salary, health and other insurance, 401K plan and generous leave policy are more reasons that qualified candidates will want to work with our dedicated and professional team. Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.
Local candidates only. No phone calls please.