Volunteer and Community Engagement Coordinator
Reporting to the Domestic Programs Manager, the Volunteer and Community Engagement Coordinator (VCEC) is a full-time exempt position. The VCEC will help create and oversee the implementation of a strategic approach to community engagement within the local greater Detroit Michigan region. The successful candidate will help maintain existing and forge new relationships within the community at large to bolster Mercy-USA’s visibility and impact.
VCEC Primary Duties and Responsibilities
– Design and manage local Mercy-USA programs and projects that benefit the community at large and that provide opportunities for community members to become engaged in Mercy-USA’s domestic and international humanitarian efforts.
– Build awareness of Mercy-USA’s work by maintaining and increasing Mercy-USA’s volunteer base to engage the community through active participation in community service and domestic humanitarian programs and activities. Design new and dynamic volunteer activities that will expand our volunteer base.
– Work with Domestic Programs team to ensure that all activities and data are reported in a timely manner
– Maintain a database of all former and current volunteers and community influencers. Design and maintain a plan for outreach follow-up.
– Produce a regular volunteer e-newsletter to promote active participation from the community.
– Monitor community activities and identify networking, community/donor relations or sponsorship opportunities. Examples of activities:
– Manage and staff Mercy-USA booths at local events and centers. Schedule and deliver presentations to local organizations and community members.
– Represent Mercy-USA at public events, either as an individual or with volunteers
– Engage schools and youth groups by organizing Mercy-USA Service Club Chapters
– Join local social media groups (Facebook, WhatsApp, Tiktok, etc.) as a Mercy-USA representative.
– Bachelor’s degree preferred
Knowledge, skills and abilities
– Proficient writing skills
– Social media experience
– Knowledge of special events planning and management
– Project management experience
– Proficiency in the use of computer and mobile technology for: communication, word processing, spreadsheets, and internet research.
A successful Volunteer and Community Engagement Coordinator should be able to do the following:
– Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices and ensure their own behavior and the behavior of others are consistent with these standards and align with the values of the organization.
– Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
– Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
– Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
– Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
– Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
– Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problems.
– Interest in local and domestic social services and community development and/or previous experience in similar organizations to Mercy-USA is a plus
– 1 to 3 years of volunteer leadership and/or non-profit experience preferred.
– The Volunteer and Community Engagement Coordinator works in an office environment with frequent local travel and occasional short notice domestic travel.
– The Volunteer and Community Engagement Coordinator usually works a standard work week, but is sometimes expected to work outside those hours on nights and weekends for program implementation or monitoring and evaluation tasks.
Excellent benefits, including competitive salary, health and other insurance, 401K plan and generous leave policy are more reasons that qualified candidates will want to work with our dedicated and professional team.
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.
Local candidates preferred–this position does not include a relocation stipend. No phone calls please